This is Swaziland’s best known cultural event, and has a more open feel than the Incwala. In this eight-day ceremony, young girls cut reeds, present them to the Queen Mother (Indlovukazi) – ostensibly to repair the windbreak around her royal residence – and then dance in celebration. Up to 40,000 girls take part, dressed up in brightly coloured attired - making it one of the biggest and most spectacular cultural events in Africa. Taking place over a week, it is largely private, however its final two days are open to the public.
The full schedule is as follows:
The girls gather at the Queen Mother’s royal village. Today this is at Ludzidzini, in Sobhuza’s time it was at Lobamba. They come in groups from the 200 or so chiefdoms and are registered for security. Men, usually four, supervise them, appointed chiefs. They sleep in the huts of relatives in the village or in classrooms of nearby schools. This is a very exciting time for the maidens.
The girls are separated into two groups, the older (about 14 to 22 years) and the younger (about 8 to 13 years). In the afternoon, they march to the reed-beds with their supervisors. The older girls often march about 30 kilometers, while the younger girls march about ten kilometers. If the older girls are sent further, government will provide trucks for their transport.
The girls cut their reeds, usually about ten to twenty, using long knives. Each girl ties her reeds into a bundle. Nowadays they use strips of plastic for the tying, but those mindful of tradition will still cut grass and plaint it into rope.
In the afternoon, the girls set off to return to the Queen Mother’s village, carrying their bundles of reeds. Again they return at night. This is done “to show they traveled a long way.”
A day of rest where the girls make final preparations to their hair and dancing costumes. After all that walking, who doesn’t deserve a little pampering?
First day of dancing, from about three to five in the afternoon. The girls drop their reeds outside the Queen Mother’s quarters. They move to the arena and dance, keeping their groups and each group singing different songs at the same time.
Second and last day of dancing. His Majesty the King will be present.
King commands that a number of cattle (perhaps 20 -25) be slaughtered for the girls. They receive pieces of meat and go home.
To read a blog entry all about Swaziland’s Reed Dance and for more click here:
- nvrblvd likes this
- possibilism reblogged this from venuspowertrippin
- cusackclone likes this
- coolglex likes this
- angelsanzel likes this
- instinctsfanfiction likes this
- hearthebeatingofhiddlesheart reblogged this from badstreetwalker
- lestwinswho reblogged this from badstreetwalker
- lestwinswho likes this
- badstreetwalker reblogged this from kingsofpanda
- kingsofpanda reblogged this from wocinsolidarity
- rosey-buddy likes this
- happyless reblogged this from thechronicleofshe
- kmanovaere likes this
- thepositivelybeautiful likes this
- consensualbuttflicking likes this
- everybodywrites likes this
- fantasticalwanderlust reblogged this from wocinsolidarity
- cocothesquid reblogged this from wocinsolidarity
- nutsnjolts likes this
- some---where reblogged this from wocinsolidarity
- ayilechecbo likes this
- eddieizzardstits likes this
- zealkin reblogged this from gadaboutgreen
- ask-thesashofbolin likes this
- womancave likes this
- erraticbehaviours likes this
- h00drxt reblogged this from liberationator and added:
- h00drxt likes this
- geekbap likes this
- xicxbanda likes this
- fetchmylobster likes this
- emberfaye likes this
- bloodandsoot likes this
- perchromic likes this
- robots-in-relationships reblogged this from skateboardingmessiah
- robots-in-relationships likes this
- quietwithloudthoughts likes this
- missjonte likes this
- fragmentsofsb likes this
- marcsancz likes this
- talamasi likes this
- uniteforwhitegenocide reblogged this from ityoppyawe
- skateboardingmessiah reblogged this from wocinsolidarity
- b0ugiebadass likes this
- allrisemothafucka reblogged this from wocinsolidarity
- allrisemothafucka likes this
- ityoppyawe reblogged this from wocinsolidarity
- noir97 likes this
- myttas-deactivated10249852 likes this